Área de identidad
Tipo de entidad
Entidad colectiva
Forma autorizada del nombre
HMC Dockyard, Esquimalt
Forma(s) paralela(s) de nombre
Forma(s) normalizada del nombre, de acuerdo a otras reglas
Otra(s) forma(s) de nombre
Identificadores para instituciones
Área de descripción
Fechas de existencia
1855 - present
Historia
The HMC Dockyard in Esquimalt is located on south side of Esquimalt harbor and was established by the Royal Navy to support warships on the Pacific Station. The dockyard was formally transferred to Canada 1910. The first structures, built in 1855, in what became the dockyard were wooden huts built on Duntze Head at its western end. In 1865, Esquimalt was recognized as an alternative base to Valparaiso for the Royal Navy’s Pacific Station. In that year a “small establishment for the custody of stores and provisions” was authorized. The start of repair facilities came in 1872 and the building of a graving dock by the Canadian government just to the east of the dockyard was done between 1876 and 1886. This addition greatly enhanced Esquimalt’s usefulness as a support base. Until around 1910, the dockyard was called HM Navy Yard. In 1940, The dockyard was expanded eastwards to meet wartime demands. The dockyard is still in operation today as part of Canadian Forces Base (CFB), Esquimalt.